Thursday 14 May 2015

Pandora's boxes and bags - my crochet stuff


This is a Knit & Crochet Blog Week Post, hosted by Eskimimi Makes
- my crochet bag, caddy, box, basket...whatever it is that I use -

Today was one of days where you have appointments scheduled weeks ago, those biennial medical ones that you don't just quickly move, but then it turns out that it should also be the day that the dad of the house have to prepare for and depart to one of the hell-hottest places on earth, where people file their teeth and chew khat, and then when is a better day to drill holes and hang things on the wall and tie trees up and such?

I think tonight I might have a whiskey, or half a little white pill.
Or both :-P

So almost late, but back to the Blog Week topic of the day...

Around two years ago I wrote a post about the tools of my trade, which actually included a lot of what could be covered by today's topic.  I still use the little tin, but also an assortment of other containers for PHDs and WIP larger and smaller.

These lurk in the living room/kitchen of our house, or travel up and down with me on a daily basis:

The small mobile basket

I take this when I will have small snippets of time.  The pattern must be a no-brainer, therefor a cowl for school, in plain doubles.  Also in the basket - my prescription specs to drive with, a tiny plastic container with the vitamins I forgot to take in the morning, and a just completed washcloth at the bottom.  


The large mobile basket
The large basket comes along when I will have more time - an hour during the boys' judo class, on a longer roadtrip, sitting around somewhere.  Also an easy project, plain granny clusters in two colours, for my Cheap & Cheerful project. 


Mmm...what would this be?

I have a work corner upstairs, but I'm not going to run up and down every time I need another hook, or stitch holder, so this gem of a little suitcase found at the Hospice Shop in Pretoria, serves as a general hold-all and lives in the built-in bookshelf in the living room.
In there today:  some leftover Imagine yarn (need to take it upstairs to store properly), my Alek Arabesque star bunting, little bits of Colours of Grace and safely in its box - my nr 4 Illona Heritage Hook.


Voila!

Then there is:

A pouch for my hooks

My sis gave me this pretty pouch - see the knitted patterns? I usually use it with one of my mobile projects, holding the hook, pair of scissors, maybe stitch holders etc, but when me made the move down south I placed all the hooks from my tin in here, in order to pack it better.  Some have returned to the tin, but in here you can still find...

...a whole pile of hooks!

Here's most of my Prym hooks, some KnitPro (the flat soft grips), some hooks that came free with magazines, the blue and red also a gift from Germany, the pink one is (was) my sister's plasticised stainless steel hook, her favourite one...until my Boxers got to it...I'm still searching for a replacement in every yarn shop I enter...my Eiffel Tower scissors from Typo (I have a golden pair as well), another tiny one with sharp ends, and a few stitch holders. 

Nothing gruesome, scandalous and/or surprising! But I must get my hooks back into their tin.  Maybe this weekend is a good time for some organising.

For more posts on this topic, search the tag 6KCBWDAY4.


5 comments:

Amy Putkonen said...

Great photos. My house is pretty small and I don't (yet) knit at work, so I don't have all these special bags and baskets for knitting. Great idea, though. I do sometimes have a special knitting bag when I travel though. Glad they let us bring our needles on the plane!

Jodiebodie said...

Having baskets for specific types of projects make it so quick and easy to just pick up and go :-)
You mentioned that you want to get some hooks from your pouch, back into your tin. Why is that? Is your pouch only for hooks of current projects? How do you find a pouch compared with a tin? I have a larger sized tin which it the main storage for everything except the tools I am taking with me. I find the tin is easier to sift through to find what I want. My travel pouches can be a bit fiddly at times, but for portability, small pouches win every time! :-)

homemade@myplace said...

well well…. almost the same kind of organisation down here!!!! I have a pencil case/pouch with yarn needles, stitch markers, tape measure, scissors and other bits!!! My hooks are placed in a small plastic container shaped as a matryoshka ( I have anything with russian dolls, my pouch, too!!!) and my projects are kept in baskets or plastic drawers, that are easy to bring around. When I go out, no baskets : I have a couple of reusable and foldable bags, that are light and so comfortable over my shoulders!!!!
Have a great weekend Stel, xxxxx Ale

Anne said...

So clever to put different projects into different baskets! I wish I was as organised as you... At the moment I am trying to work on one project at a time only. Let's see how long that resolution is going to last. Haha!

Take care
Anne (Crochet Between Worlds)

Anne said...

So clever to put different projects into different baskets! I wish I was as organised as you... At the moment I am trying to work on one project at a time only. Let's see how long that resolution is going to last. Haha!

Take care
Anne (Crochet Between Worlds)